I am fortunate enough to own an upper mudguard for a Yamaha TZ250/350 C/D/E chassis, it came with my TZ chassis, but I knew I could quickly make a copy and other wanted one without spending upwards of £90 on it.
A quick scan and an hour or so spent on Fusion 360 later and I had a workable model. I only required a couple of minor alterations to get the frame to fit perfectly, then a PLA copy of the rubber guard itself was printed to use as a template.

Second print in carbon fiber PETg
Once the rubber arrived (I opted for 1mm rubber sheet rather than the OEM 1.5mm to add some lightness) I cut out the first sheet and rough assembled the guard using M3 cap head allen bolts. Annoyingly I hadn't made any alteration over the OEM guards okay fit but it works as advertised so remains un altered for now.
I actually quite like the cap head allen bolts but with the risk of them easily vibrating loose, I decided to finish this guard with pop rivets. These are light weight and are more true to the OEM brass rivets.
Printed in silver, they actually look pretty convincing as an OEM part and thanks to the materials they end up both lighter and substantially cheaper, being made available on eBay.

rear installed on a TZ250 C

Rear Silver PETg

Front Silver PETg
In very short order, alterations were requested. First an uncut rubber sheet for later aluminium swingarms and soon after, the rear bracket had its holes removed for better FOD protection. These haven't replaced the original above and are also sold on eBay.
Improved Fusion 360 Drawing

Improved design in black PETg

HPE logo detail. At 0.2mm deep it is unintrusive

Front  installed on a TZ250 C


Of course it didn't take long to get request for guards to fit later machines.
A couple were sent out with uncut rubber sheets before I got round to Andy Green, or Classic Racing Green who has a TZ250G. A bit of time with masking tape and a stanley knife later and we had a good copy.
I scanned this into the computer, Drew it up in Fusion360, printed a PLA template then we were in business!

TZ250 F/G/H/J Silver PETg Back

A slick little upgrade has also slipped in with the addition of thin rivet washers on the front to prevent the rivet tail from pulling through the softer plastic. These can be omitted for a saving of 5 grams.

TZ250 F/G/H/J Carbon fibre PETg Front


TZ250G Rear instillation

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Folding tool kit handles - About and Fitting guide

Mightily small handles - About &Fitting guide

What are my choices 3D printing?